Monday, July 29, 2013

TMI Tuesday - Will You Marry Me?

WillYouMarryMe 


This week's TMI questions were penned by John D Stories and were inspired by the above photograph. 

1. Do you believe in marraige?
Well I am married and have been for about fifteen years so I guess that the answer to that is yes. Seriously though, I do believe in marraige but not in the Prince Charming sweeping Cinderella off her feet kind of way. More in the journey two people take through life together kind of way. I could write for a long time about the issues with popular perception of marraige in our culture but this is probably not the time and place for it.   

2. Have you ever proposed marraige or been proposed to marry? What happened?
Again the answer to this question is obvious. Yes. Although my marraige proposal was kind of an anticlimax. Jake was worried I would say no so we had several roundabout conversations about wether I would say yes if he asked before he actually asked. On the actual proposal weekend we went camping at a beach we visted a lot and he chose a very nice spot by a lake to pop the question. I wasn't entirely surprised and there was no fireworks or ring to celebrate so it was like a lot of things in our life, quiet and understated. 

3. What would be your dream way of proposing marraige?
I am not a huge fan of being the centre of attention. I think the ideal proposal would be a really nice dinner and some subtle way of producing a ring that I had never seen before. I don't even care too much for the bended knee thing. It is more about the intimacy and sincerity of the proposal. Having said that I will be very surprised if I ever have the opportunity to be proposed to again. 
http://www.americangemsociety.org/uploads/110251342647661.jpg

4. What would be your nightmarish way of proposing marraige?
 I think a very public proposal in front of a heap of people I know well like my work collegues or my family would probably be the worst. Especially if the person was proposing very early in the relationship.

5. Mainstream society has engagement rings; in your opinion what token should be given to signify engagment?
In Papua New Guinea and other Melanesian / Polynesian cultures it is common for the suitor to offer  livestock such as pigs to the bride's family in exchange for his wife. The custom is quite complex and has meaning not just in compensating the bride's family for the loss of their child but also for the young man to prove that he and his family will be able to provide for the woman and her children adequately. We have an Australian friend who married a New Guinean man and the joke she makes is that she was worth only one pig. Jake told me I was definitely worth at least ten pigs. I think pigs are a great way to signify engagement. 

http://www.puravidasail.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/dsc-0055-thumb.jpg
 

6. What do you think would have happened to cause someone to have "Will you marry me?" on the back of their caravan?
I think that the owner of the caravan is some hopelessly traveller who met the person of their dreams at an overnight roadside campsite and when they got up the next morning their dream person had moved on. The traveller is doomed to drive every quiet country road for the rest of their life looking for their perfect soulmate. 

 Bonus: Tell us about someone you would have proposed to by never had the chance / opportunity. 

I am an old fashioned kind of girl and so never considered proposing to anyone because it wasn't my job. Other than Jake there isn't anyone in my past that I wished I had a proposal from though. I can't imagine being married to anyone else.  




No comments:

Post a Comment