Tuesday, May 6, 2014

TMI Tuesday - How Creative are You?

This week's prompt was inspired by Variations on Normal. The questions were provided by a regular question contributor, Virtual Sin. 

As always you can check out the other entries on the TMI page here: http://tmituesdayblog.wordpress.com/2014/05/05/tmi-tuesday-may-6-2014/


1. Have you ever had an idea for an invention that you thought would be commercially viable? Care to share a brief synopsis, photo or sketch?

Nothing springs immediately to mind. Usually I make do with what I find around me to deal with the situation that I have at hand. It never really occurs to me to make something long term that would solve the problem permanently.

2. Visual arts: Do you do any painting or drawing? Are you a photographer? Sculptor? Ceramist/potter? Silversmith or other? Share one of your favorite works with us, post a photo.

This question reminds me of a conversation I once had with a pre-teen in the Brisbane Gallery of Modern Art. We were looking at a display of tribal art that included some weaving of every day items. Her argument was that the things we were looking at were utilitarian items that were made to be used and so they couldn't be art. I pointed out to her that just because the item is made to be used didn't mean it couldn't be art. The design, patterning, creativity and visual appeal of the item made it art, even if it was part of an item that is functional. 

With this in mind I am venturing to say that I do create visual art in the form of crotcheted rugs. I have attached a photo of my latest creation which isn't quite finished. 


I am quite proud of the visual appeal of this rug because it started its life as a pile of scrap wool that really had no use.

3.
a. Do you write fiction? Poetry? Share with us by linking to your work.

Yes I write fiction but be warned! Reading my stories requires an open mind. This is a link to something I am currently working on.

b. Do you make up plots, even if you never write them down?

Since I started blogging I find myself having ideas and writing down ideas all the time. A lot of them don't make it past the idea stage but often they do make it onto the blog. 

4. Do you write music? Do you sing or play a musical instrument? An audio clip would be nice :)

In my childhood I learned the piano and I can still play a little bit. But no I have never ever written music in any format. 

5. Do you write computer programs? What do you like most about that?

That is definitely not something I will ever be able to do. Putting together this blog is as technical as I will ever be likely to get. 

6.
a. Do you have a hobby that involves making something? Examples might be woodworking, baking, sewing, etc.

As well as my crotcheting that I spoke about above I am really into cooking and baking.

b. What is the last thing you made?

My latest accomplishment was home made tomato sauce and a bath of apple jelly which has been tasting really yummy on my toast. 


Bonus: What is it? How would you use it? Write a caption.


Despite it's unusual appearance this cucumber will definitely be very useful for a nice fresh salad. There might even be a couple of slices left over for me to put on my face to fix those horrible looking bags under my eyes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment